Monday, June 12, 2006

A funny thing happened on the way to Detroit...

As I am sure most of you know, going on a family get-a-away is no small task. You have to make sure that the dog is taken care of, the kids have all their "stuff" packed, and that you and the wife are mentally prepared to spend several hours in a moving vehicle with each other.
My plan was to get an early start for Detroit to spend the weekend with my family, and it was off to a pretty smooth start. After about 90 minutes in the car, I get a call on the BlackBerry. "Andy, we got a server down." Great. Can't get out of town without SOMETHING breaking. Last time it was the van and this time, it's a server. I told them to reboot it, and let's see what happens. I had a funny feeling earlier in the week that there may have been a hardware problem on the server. After about 20 minutes, I hear my BlackBerry buzz. Server went down again. Okay, now I start making phone calls. As I am driving 70 MPH west on our lovely Ohio Turnpike, I am explaining to my backup how easy it is, (which it really is), to swap out a Domino server, as long as you have the core files available. So, after about an hour or so of phone calls, and me trying to monitor things with Idokorro, (which I am still testing), the server was back up and running.
With that behind me, I had only one primary task for the day. That was to eat Coneys. Which I did, and they were good. It really amazes me that no where on the planet, at least not that I know of, sells coneys like they do in Detroit. It seems like most major cities have some sort of dish that you can't get anywhere else. If you ever visit Detroit, make sure you stop into one of these places. They are really worth the visit.
Thanks to all who had posted about the server upgrade to 7. Saturday is the big day, so I have some more testing and documentation to do before then. Let's hope it's a boring week.

No comments: