Saturday, January 15, 2011

A Lotus Traveler upgrade issue - Self-inflicted

Let's face it.  Lotus Traveler has been the true gem in the Lotus software portfolio.  All of us who are Admins of the server know, it just works.  So going into today's upgrade of my production server from beta to the full 8.5.2 version I didn't think it was going to be a big deal.  But then the problems started. But as I came to find out, they were self-inflicted.
After upgrading to the latest 8.5.2 code and applied FP1, I saw that there was a hot fix available for the server to resolve an SSL issue.  It's a manual install that requires copying a couple of files and then editing the VersionInfo.txt on the server.  Not a big deal, right.  Well, that's what I thought too.
After installing, I fired up Domino and made sure the Traveler task started, I went off testing my iPod Touch and my Windows Mobile 6 device.  Mail was syncing and all was working well.  I then went off to test the install on Droid.  As part of the upgrade from beta to full production version, you have to un-install and reinstall Traveler on the Droid.  Since I had the installer .apk in my Gmail, I ran the install from that.  When the install of the Lotus Traveler Installer finished on my Droid, it came up and asked for my server name, user name and password.  I entered all of the information required, but it wouldn't connect to the server. Error connecting to server was the message that kept popping up.  Tried EVERY combination that I could think of for user name and server name.  Nothing.  But I found out the problem.
You need to be VERY careful when copying in the new information for the VersionInfo.txt file.  Turns out that when I copied over the information from the readme, I didn't do it correctly.  Instead of the lines reading:
#Lotus Mobile Installer - Android
Lotus\ Installer.Android.filename=LotusInstaller.apk
Lotus\ Installer.Android.version=8.5.2.1 201012142159

it looked more like

#Lotus Mobile Installer - Android
Lotus\ Installer.Android.filename=LotusInstaller.apk Lotus\
Installer.Android.version=8.5.2.1 201012142159

So after correcting that, it worked right away.   So be warned.  While copy and paste can be your best friend, it can also be your downfall ;-)

No comments: