Tuesday, June 29, 2010

I don't think the iPhone is the only thing having reception problems

A lot of news has been generated this past week about the iPhone 4 and it's reception issues.  I, like many, was all excited last week to download and upgrade my iPod Touch to the latest and greatest from Apple.  After the upgrade, I started to notice something goofy.  My signal strength meter started showing low reception.
This was taken on my iPod Touch at work sitting right under the access point.  
Now is it hardware related?  I don't think so.  Having used the device for some time before the upgrade, I never have seen that low of a signal.  And being right under the access point at work and across the room from my router at home, I shouldn't be having that low of a connection.  So is it really the device or the software?  Like I stated in Tweets last week, I like iOS 4.  But on an 8GB iPod Touch, it's not multi-threaded available and with all the folders, it's like I'm back to Windows 3.1 days.  Oh well. Lotus Traveler works like a champ on it, and that's all that matters to me.

1 comment:

Chris Whisonant said...

Updated my 3GS to iOS4 over the weekend (jailbroken, too :D ) and haven't noticed issues with wifi reception or general reception with 3G. I've actually noticed my battery is a lot better now, but I was only on 3.1.2 previously and not 3.1.3 - which reportedly corrected some battery issues. So, there's definitely some truth to how the software can interact with the meters and hardware. I understand there's a fix coming out for the reception issue (4.0.1, I guess) but I did see a demo unit in AT&T store have the reception go down after gripping it in the left hand. Oh yeah, I believe there were some wi-fi reception issues corrected in 3.1.3 as well (or maybe 3.1.2).