Wednesday, February 24, 2010

SnTT: A Lotus Traveler Memory Issue, but there is a fix!

Let me start off by once again saying how much I love Lotus Traveler.  I think any admin that has set it up and rolled it out to their users has the same warm feelings for it.  But after returning from Lotusphere and installing the 8.5.1.1 CF1, (to allow for meeting acceptance on the iPhone), that love hit the rocks a little.
I started getting phone calls from people saying that mail was not syncing down to their devices.  Seeing the same issue with myself, I quickly jumped on the server and saw the following errors go flying by on the server console:
02/22/2010 09:38:54 AM  Failed to authenticate with server SERVER/CERT: Your public key was not found in the Domino Directory
02/22/2010 09:38:54 AM  Failed to authenticate with server SERVER/CERT: Your public key was not found in the Domino Directory
02/22/2010 09:38:54 AM  Failed to authenticate with server SERVER/CERT: Your public key was not found in the Domino Directory
02/22/2010 09:38:54 AM  Failed to authenticate with server SERVER2/CERT: Your public key was not found in the Domino Directory
02/22/2010 09:38:54 AM  Failed to authenticate with server SERVER2/CERT: Your public key was not found in the Domino Directory
02/22/2010 09:38:54 AM  Failed to authenticate with server SERVER2/CERT: Your public key was not found in the Domino Directory

Thinking the problem was with a corrupt Domino Directory, I stopped the Domino server, ran ncompact -C -d -i names.nsf, followed by a nupdall -R names.nsf, and restarted the Domino service.  Once the server was up and running, mail started flowing back to the devices and all was well once again.  But then the problem started happening again....and again.   No real reason that I could see, just the weird error.  So today, I finally got around to opening a ticket with support and I'm glad I did.
It seems that there are known memory issues that have been recently uncovered.  When Traveler starts running into low memory issues, it starts causing issues like mine.  Support sent me a link (http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg24019529) to the fix.  If you have already downloaded 8.5.1.1 CF1 for Lotus Traveler, make sure you download and implement 8.5.1.1 IF1.  Lotus support told me that they have had good luck with this patch solving the memory issues and returns Traveler to its happy, running state.
I won't be able to install the patch until my planned downtime on Saturday, but at least my issue is a known one and not something too weird.  I hate getting those "it ain't working again" phone calls.
Stay tuned for results!

3 comments:

Steve Breitenbach said...

Thanks for the heads up. Put CF1 on over the weekend, but haven't seen any issues as yet.

Lotus Evangelist said...

Andy, thanks for this, have a major issue where travler on a 64 bit win 2008, domino 32bit, server is coughing on java errors which has another hotfix, only from IBM though.
Calling it in as we have more issues since loading the cf1.

Lotus Evangelist said...

Follow up is it worked perfectly, all issues gone(the ones we had).
Amazing what waiting an extra day or 2 can mean.