Thursday, July 19, 2007

I've been tagged

Phil has tagged me with the "what are my top 5 songs that are the first track on an album/cd" thread. That's a tough one because I never really had a record collection, just a bunch of 45's. For those out there that do not know what a 45 RPM record is...I feel sorry for you. Back in the days before the Internet, we would here a song on a radio, go to what was called a "record store" and slap down $1-$2 for a round plastic disc called a 45. You would have to use a device called a "record player" to hear the sounds that were stored on this plastic disc. If you were lucky and had the stereo system from a place called "K-Mart" that had both the record and tape player in it, you would make a mix-tape. A mix-tape, recorded on to a cassette tape, is very much like a playlist, but would be limited to a certain amount of songs on each side due to limited storage and no compression of data. Anyways, here are my choices:

Tears for Fears - Shout|Songs from the Big Chair. That's an album that I can never get tired of listening to.
Prince - Sign O' The Times|Sign O' The Times. His 1987 masterpiece. Another album on my iPod that has something for every mood.
Van Morrison - Bright Side of the Road|The Best of Van Morrison. The first CD my wife and I bought together while we were dating. Track #5 off of that album is our wedding song.
Journey - Only the young|Greatest Hits. Nothing special about that song. Just one of those that I love to listen to while I'm on a road trip
Hall and Oates - Dance on your knees/Out of Touch|Big Bam Boom. A song that will always remind me of moving from Detroit to Ohio. Probably because it's the one tape I had in my walkman most of the time during the moving process.
The Cure - Burn| The Crow Soundtrack. One of the best uses of a song in a movie to score a scene.

I now tag
Gregg
Shannon

No comments: