Thursday, April 14, 2016

With my boots on

Today wasn't the best of days.  After 17 years at the company I had been working for, my position was eliminated.  The writing had been on the wall for some time that changes and cuts were coming to all departments and with the migration away from the Notes/Domino stack, I knew it was a matter of time.  
Well, times up.  
I truly hold no ill will to my former employers, they really are good people and a good company.  It's just surprising and sad when you get the news.  It's purely business. So now the question is, what next?  Anyone who reads this blog knows that the IBM social stack at least in my part of North America is an endangered species.  More and more companies are going  to or already have migrated to one of the other vendors in the collaboration and message space.  When I dedicated my career to IT, I jumped head first into it.  But, I didn't learn nor had the chance to get into other technologies.   I tried but there was always another project to be done or another issue that needed resolved.  I wonder if I'll even stay in IT as a career choice.  I have a lot of experience with messaging and mobile platforms and that's where my strengths are, so we will see.  I'll figure it out.  This isn't the end of the road, it's just the start of a new future for me.  I have a lot to offer and plan on offering it.  For the immediate future I will take a little bit of time and explore my photography business some more.  
So for now I can say that I am no longer a Domino Administrator.  It's been a hell of a fun run.  I've always loved the product and it's quirks.  But let's face it, it's time has past and it's time to move on.   I'll always be grateful for the people I've met because of Lotus Notes/Domino.  Let's face it, Lotusphere's were as much of a family reunion as they were a technology conference.

I can at least say that when I left today, I had my chin high and I walked away with my boots on.

(Editors note - Any negative comments towards my former place of employment will not be tolerated and will be deleted.  Like I stated I truly hold no ill will towards them.  They are a great company with a great future ahead of them and I truly wish them well!)