Monday, June 9, 2014

Another one bites the dust.

I've been feeling it coming for a long time now.  
The eventuality that my days as a full time Domino Administrator coming to a close.  I've known for some time at work, (past couple of years), that there has been a lot of conversation about migrating away from the Domino stack.  At first I fought it.  Nobody listened.  Nobody cared.  No help from IBM either.  As far as I'm concerned, they gave up on us as a customer a long time ago. Haven't heard from my rep in months.  So why fight it.  My mantra this past year has been, "100 years from now, ain't nobody going to care about who managed an email system at a Fortune 500 company in Ohio." A couple weeks back I tweeted out:
Getting that "I've backed the wrong horse feeling" a lot today.
That horse has been a Yellow one.  I've realized that if I ever wanted to make a change in scenery with the day job, I would have to move.  Either Cleveland, Pittsburgh or Columbus.  Moving is not something that Denise, the kids or I want to do.  We love where we live.  It was odd a couple weeks later after tweeting that that my boss called me into her office.  I was being given an opportunity at work, I took it.  I'm going to train someone new and make the majority of my time at work be on the network side of things.   Don't know a whole lot about the ins and outs of that but there is more room for growth then in my current position and they are willing to train me.  I've spent so much of my professional career dealing with Notes/Domino and mobile messaging, I haven't invested a lot into other areas of my day job career.  So I figure now is a good time.  I'll still have my hands in plenty of Domino from time to time but, I have something else to focus on that if something drastic were to change at the office, I would be in a better place then the one I'm in now.
Am I sad?
A bit.
Would still love to have 6 numbers appear, then I can say to hell with it all and just do the photography thing. But that is unlikely to happen.
It's been a fun ride in the Yellow Bubble.  Made lots of great friends and relationships over the years that have really made me feel that I was a part of something great.  I doubt I will ever find that with another group of passionate people.  That's what I will miss the most.  Well that and Orlando in January singing "I got you babe".
So, that's it for now.  I haven't posted a whole lot of Notes/Domino stuff on this site for a LONG time.  Will likely be even less now.  May just go back and make this a personal blog.  Doubt it though.  The personal stuff usually lands over on the photo site.  So, if you want to see what I'm up to, follow me on Facebook on my personal page or the business site.
So that's it for now.  Onward and upward.

JUST TO BE CLEAR: I have not been involved in any conversations with others at my place of employment about ANY decisions, etc about strategy.  But in my opinion, the writing is on the wall.  So there is no date/time/whatever set about migrating to anything.