Tuesday, July 15, 2008

ND8 Upgrade Step 2 - Upgrading the first server

With the upgrade of the design of the Domino Directory behind me, it was time to take the next big step of upgrading my Admin server to Domino 8.0.1.
Upgrading a server is never a task one takes lightly. No matter how many tests you make in a lab environment, there is the chance that something will go wrong. So before beginning my task, a quick backup was made of all the important files, including the updated pubnames.ntf template that was used in the directory design upgrade, I was ready to begin.
My plan on upgrading the admin server was derived from two things. First, information obtained during Admin2008 at the upgrade sessions and secondly, from this technote which contains a step by step upgrade guide. With that information and testing in place, I launched the setup.exe and ran through the installation screens. My anxiety mounted as files were copied. The last thing I wanted to do was try and troubleshoot a failed installation. Been there, done that. When the setup was complete, I copied back over the new pubnames.ntf and launched the server. With the .ini parameter in place to not have the Domino Directory design replaced on first launch after an upgrade, (Server_Upgrade_No_Directory_ReDesign=1), all I had to do was sit back and watch the console fly by. And it did. And all ran smoothly. No bubbles, no troubles. Sure, it's a small server that I upgraded, but upgrading to 8.0.1 was probably the easiest upgrade I've done so far. I may not be singing that tune when I have to upgrade the application server and LEI, but so far, so good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Andy:

Did the 8.0.x upgrade on a 7.0.2 server runing Domino and DB2. (I wanted to remove DB2 because the bersion I needed was not available at the time I did the upgrade).

Am running 8, 7, and 6 servers in a mixed environment to boot.

Did the voodoo that I do to revert DB2 NSFs to pure NSF - removed DB2 - upgraded - and bingo! The server has been running since the upgrade is complete (except, of course, when I take it down for maintenance).

So, add this to the Domino upgrade to 8 success stories!

Cheers
Bob Baehr
The Unofficial Poster Child For Lotus Notes and Domino